Nutritional scientists have long known that certain dietary supplements potentiate one another, which simply means that they enhance one another’s positive effects and help minimize one another’s negative effects. This is the case with the supplements Garcinia Cambogia and green coffee beans.
Individually, Garcinia Cambogia and green coffee beans have proven effective for weight loss. When taken together, the two supplements appear to have a synergistic effect so that weight comes off faster. Of course, properly portioned meals and regular, moderate exercise are essential to any serious weight loss regimen as well.
What Is Garcinia Cambogia?
Garcinia Cambogia (GCE), more commonly known as tamarind, is a small fruit native to Southeast Asia and Indonesia that’s a favorite ingredient in traditional chutneys and curries. Natives to these parts have known for quite some time that when tamarind is added to food, food becomes more filling somehow. The fruit has also been used to treat joint and gastrointestinal problems.
In the United States, the fruit extract is sold under the name Garcinia Cambogia, HCA, brindleberry, brindal berry or garcinia
Scientists say it’s an ingredient in the fruit’s rind called hydroxycitric acid (HCA) that’s responsible for this pleasant feeling of satiation and subsequent weight loss results. HCA helps the body lose weight in two different ways:
• HCA inhibits the formation of an enzyme called citrate lyase. Citrate lyase regulates a key step in the conversion of excess carbohydrates into fatty acids. Without citrate lyase, the process whereby fatty tissues are laid down in the body is interrupted. Not only does this lead to less fat formation, it also leads to decreased production of low-density lipoproteins (LDL or “bad” cholesterol) and triglycerides.
• HCA is a natural serotonin booster. Serotonin is the neurotransmitter that’s primarily responsible for an inner sense of wellbeing. Many people overeat in response to stressful or potentially stressful situations. By reducing your stress levels, HCA decreases the drive to overeat. As you eat less, your body naturally begins to burn stored fat.
What Are Green Coffee Beans?
Most of us are familiar with green coffee beans when they are dried, roasted, ground and brewed into the coffee beverages with which many of us start our mornings. Recent research appears to indicate that green coffee bean extract (GCBE) is also a useful supplement for weight loss.
Coffee is best known as a source of caffeine, a substance that’s famous for speeding up the human metabolism. When your metabolism is higher, you burn energy sources like fat more quickly. However, coffee is also a source of literally hundreds of other chemical compounds, many of which have profound pharmacological effects. Coffee contains chlorogenic acid, quinides and lignans among other chemical compounds.
• Chlorogenic acid inhibits the formation of the enzyme glucose-6-phosphatase. Glucose-6-phosphatase mediates the process by which the liver stores excess glucose in the form of glycogen. Chlorogenic acid is also a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants are compounds that help neutralize the effects that environmental toxins have on the body.
The roasting process removes much of the chlorogenic acid from coffee. Green coffee beans are a far better natural source for chlorogenic acid than a cup of brewed java.
• Quinides: Quinides are the substances responsible for coffee’s bitter flavor. They bind to endorphin receptors within the brain, thereby creating euphoria and reducing stress. This sense of euphoria decreases the need to eat in situations where overeating is triggered by anxiety.
• Lignans: Lignans are estrogen-like compounds found in many plants besides coffee beans. Flax seed and soy, for example, are rich in lignans. Several studies have linked dietary lignans to lower body mass indices (BMIs), particularly in women. The exact mechanism responsible for this effect has not been thoroughly explored atthis time.
How Safe Is Garcinia Cambogia?
Humans have been eating tamarinds safely for hundreds of years. HCA extracts made from Garcinia Cambogia contain higher amounts of the compound responsible for the metabolic reactions responsible for the fruit’s reputation as an effective fat-buster. Experts recommend taking between 500 mg and 100 mg of HCA extract before each meal for best weight loss results, and no more than 3000 mg of HCA extract in a single day. Garcinia Cambogia should be taken on an empty stomach, approximately 30 minutes before a meal for optimal effect.
Speak to your physician if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking HCA extract. You should also consult with your doctor before taking HCA extract if you are taking medications to control diabetes or statin drugs to control cholesterol levels.
If you are taking a supplement for the first time, it’s always wisest to start with a smaller amount to see how your body responds to the medication. HCA is associated with certain side effects including nausea, gastrointestinal symptoms and headaches. If you experience no adverse side effects, and the dose you are taking does not produce the desired effects, you can increase the amount you are taking gradually over time.
How Much Weight Loss Can You Expect With Garcinia Cambogia?
Recent scientific research supports the use of Garcinia Cambogia and HCA supplements for weight loss. Articles published in the April 2011 issue of “The Journal of Pharmacology and Phamacotherapeutics” and the April 2012 issue of “The Journal of Natural Medicines” confirm that tamarind fruit pulp decreases fat production and promotes weight loss in animal subjects. Another study performed by scientists at the Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, DC found that on a restricted diet of 1,200 calories per day, clinical subjects supplementing their caloric intake with 1320 mg of HCA per day lost 14 pounds over an eight week period compared to test subjects following a similar diet who did not take HCA.
Since no two individuals have the same metabolism however, different individuals will experience different rates of weight loss when they supplement their diets with Garcinia Cambogia or HCA. The supplement is most effective when it is used as part of a weight loss plan that includes a healthy diet and regular amounts of exercise. Using Garcinia Cambogia and green coffee beans together will lead to enhanced weight loss results.